Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mohammad Asif should be jailed: Veena Malik


Veena Malik, the so called whistle-blower in the spot-fixing scandal, has said that Mohammad Asif should be put behind the bars. Speaking to DNA, moments after the verdict on the Pakistan’s tainted trio was announced, Veena said her former boyfriend was perennially involved in wrongdoing and should be handed exemplary punishment.
“I would not want to pass judgment about other two players, but I can say with authority that Asif should not be spared. I knew from the beginning that he was involved in corrupt practices. Remember, he tested positive for dope during IPL and he managed to escape with a light punishment. So, I think he should be given exemplary punishment because he has this knack of escaping with light sentences. He had this false confidence that he can escape with all his atrocities. He underestimated the enormity and seriousness of his deeds. Rather misdeeds,” she said.
When pointed out that he faces the danger of being extradited and jailed in Britain, the Pakistan actress said the law should take its own course.
“My only regret is that I begged him to refrain from this kind of activity so that he would not ruin his career. Not only I, but many people tried but he did not pay heed to the advices. So if he is proved to be a criminal, he should rightly be punished — even if he were to be jailed.”
She also felt that the Scotland Yard would properly investigate the case. “See, emotionally, I always wished him well. But this is a much bigger issue. My emotions are also attached to cricket. So, I cannot see the image of the game I love being tarnished. So, tomorrow if Scotland (Yard) prove him guilty, he should face the imprisonment. I’m sure the Scotland Yard would not be prejudiced against him. They investigate properly and they won’t be unfair. He should be handed an exemplary punishment, so that it becomes a deterrent in future.”
Veena, who created a stir with her appearance in Bigg Boss in India, said she is ready to face the consequences for speaking out the truth.
“I had shared a lot of information and evidence with the ICC authorities. If my whistle-blowing can lead to my personal insecurity, I would not mind. Bravery is in my blood. I was prepared to face any eventuality. I had got death threats but I did not care. I knew, what I did was right. If you have to pay for standing up for the truth so be it. I get a lot of positive energy when I do such things. I have learnt to stand by the truth.
“You may see my statements through the whole scandal and they were never inconsistent. God has given me that much power and confidence to stand up to the adversity and threats. If I were to die for speaking the truth, so be it. I’m prepared for it. I’m happy.”
Veena also said she always knew that the right-arm Pakistani pacer was neck-deep involved in corruption and this ICC verdict would act as a deterrent. “It is very sad moment for any cricket-lover like me. I follow cricket and I follow it very religiously. A lot of my emotions are involved with the game. As a cricket-lover I say there should be zero tolerance for corruption in cricket be it in Pakistan or anywhere in the world.
“The corrupt must be exposed and punished, thus forcing any cricketer to think 1,000 times before committing such things. I knew that Asif was neck-deep in corruption and I always tried to expose it. Not many people were willing to take me seriously. But I was damn serious. I’m shattered that they are spoiling the reputation of the gentleman’s game. So this verdict would be an example for future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme